Check Your Home for Radioactive Gases

Contact our Chardon, Mentor or Willoughby, OH inspectors for radon testing

Radon is an odorless, tasteless and naturally occurring radioactive gas that escapes from rock and soil. It's one of the leading causes of lung cancer in the US and requires special equipment and training to detect. You can rely on Safe Investment Home Inspection, LLC of Chardon, OH & Mentor, OH to assess the levels of radon in your home.

Reach out to us at 440-990-0476 to learn more about radon testing.

Frequently Asked Questions About Radon

My home does not have a basement. Should I still get it checked for radon?

Yes. As radon typically enters the home from below, radon concentrations will most likely be the highest on the lowest levels of the home. A lot of people have the misconception that they do not need a radon test if there is not a basement and that it is not the case. Give me a call to find out more!

My neighbor tested for radon and results were low. Do I still need to test my house?

Yes. The amount of radon in a home is determined by the soil and rock below that specific home. It is not uncommon for multiple homes in a neighborhood to have varying levels of radon.

If my home has high radon levels, is there a solution?

Absolutely! Our State of Ohio license is for radon testing only. Because we are not licensed for radon mitigation, we are not able to discuss methods for radon mitigation. However, if you complete a quick search for "Radon Mitigation," you can learn how it is typically done and who in the area can complete the work for you.

An anecdote from our owner:

Several years ago, before I was a home inspector, my wife and I purchased our first home. As we were going through the paperwork, our realtor asked us if we were going to get a radon test. At that time, my wife and I knew nothing about radon or the health issues that can arise from prolonged exposure to elevated levels of radon. After speaking with our realtor and doing some brief research, we decided to have the radon test completed. My wife and I were shocked when the results came back at over 17 piC/l, which is over 4 times the EPA recommendation of 4.0 piC/l.

During the purchasing process, we found out that the sellers lived in the home since it was new and they never had the home tested for radon. We also found out that the reason they were moving was due to health issues, including trouble breathing. While I cannot definitively say that their health issues were due to prolonged exposure to elevated levels of radon, it does seem very coincidental. For my wife and me, it wasn't a risk we were willing to take. We insisted on having a mitigation system installed before we moved in, and the sellers covered the costs.

Turn to Safe Investment Home Inspection, LLC to complete a radon inspection in your home.